Anyways, I threw in the same ingredients as Linn-Sofie used, except of course in Finland you can go to the store and get a bag of rice specifically designated for porridge. I opted for Californian short grain rice which is round, absorbs loads of liquid and fluffs up similarly to the finnish porridge rice (which for all i know might be californian too..). I let the water boil in first (ca 10min) and then poured in the milk and let the cooker do it's thing for another 40min.
What I learned was this:
- making rice porridge in a rice-cooker really works
- it takes about the same time as making it on the stove but needs less attention
- you don't need quite as much liquid, so next time I'm going to make do with 8dl of milk instead of 1L
Be aware of these:
- d o n' t c l o s e t h e l i d . Milk boils over really easily.
- stir it a bit at the end when there's less liquid left
- if your rice-cooker is ancient it will burn to the bottom of the pan (but if you don't touch the burnt bits underneath the rest of the porridge will taste fine!)